Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ojalá que llueva café...

Yup, that's Spanish. And it's a totally AWESOME song. It was was written by Juan Luis Guerra of the Dominican Republic (which is like the second poorest country in the Americas). It's title literally says "I wish that it would rain coffee", which sounds a little strange at first, but the song is actually talking about how he wishes the earth would produce more crops so that his nation could become richer and his people wouldn't have to suffer. We learned this song in Spanish the other day, and it really got me thinking. Why doesn't everyone feel this way, or pray this way? That would solve so many of the world's problems. I mean, I haven't been the most charitable person thus far in life, and why not? Who knows? Really, we all the ability to give something. Seriously, even if you only donate stuff like plasma (which you get paid for), or clothes to Goodwill (which you get a tax write-off for, I believe), you're still doing something amazing. Therefore, I'm going to start trying to really help the world in any way I can. I hope buying/asking for TOMS counts (TOMS is a shoe company that donates a pair of shoes to children in need for every pair you buy. If you want to check out their store, it's at www.tomsshoes.com). But I'll stop preaching at y'all... for now. Bahaha *grins evilly*.

So, I haven't been posting because we are FINALLY moved into our new house (for the most part) and I haven't had internet for a while now. I know, I know, you are all gasping for air at the thought of me without internet. But I survived. I tried posting from my phone, but it wouldn't let me.

Oh, culture post, before I forget. This culture post isn't really much culture as it is charity (don't worry, no money involved).

http://freerice.com/

Basically, you answer (easy) questions, and they donate rice. It's really simple, and you can change the subjects the questions are based on. It's totally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment